Sunday, February 26, 2012

Eureka!


You know those Aha moments?  When your body is doing something routine (like showering or gardening or exercising) and your mind takes off for an adventure of its own?  Suddenly you have a new understanding.   It’s like Archimedes’ “Eureka!” . . . though in my moments it's never so earth-shattering!

My Aha today:  learning is like using a treadmill.  (I’m not saying education is similar to a hamster’s wheel, but that might be a topic for another day!)  No, my comparison is much more positive. 

I love my treadmill work-out because, although there are pre-set modes, I can also customize it to fit my personal needs . . . set my own pace, adjust the incline, choose the time that fits my schedule, wear whatever clothes and shoes are comfortable, run or walk or jog for as long as I like.  I can choose to be super challenged . . . or not.

I exercise best/I learn best when I’m in control of my options.  I'm neither bored through lack of effort nor frustrated by being pushed too far, too fast. 

Wouldn’t it be great if we could help gifted kids figure out their own learner needs and adjust the pace and depth and breadth of their instruction accordingly, allowing them to take charge of their own unique paths to those Aha moments?  




No comments:

Post a Comment